Sweet Potato Casserole | Recipe | Sweet Potato Casserole with Crunchy Pecan Topping

My favorite Thanksgiving dish is sweet potatoes.  I like smell as they come out of the oven.  They way they make Mr. Stranded smile as I set them on the table.  The warm, Autumn colors.  I like the taste.  How smooth they are.  The sound of forks scraping the dish trying to get every last morsel.  Really, what's not to like?

What is your favorite Thanksgiving dish?

These sweet potatoes are oh, so good.  The smooth, velvety sweet potatoes are contrasted nicely by the sugary, crunchy, pecan topping.  I made this recipe  a few weeks ago just for Mr. Stranded and me and we ate the entire tray in two days.  Ok, not that healthy, but we were still training for the half marathon at the time, so I'm giving us a pass.  Normally I give Mr. Stranded bigger portions than I'd give myself, but not with these sweet potatoes!  It's equal portions all the way.  These are too good to give up my share!

Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
Yields: 8-12 servings

Potatoes
2 lbs sweet potatoes
1/4 c evaporated milk (or whole milk)
3 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs

Topping
1-1/2 oz all-purpose flour (about 1/3 c)
2/3 c packed brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1/2 c chopped pecans

1. Place potatoes in a pressure cooker.  Once pressure rises, cook for 25-30 minutes.  Release pressure using the quick-release method (rinse pressure cooker under cool water until pressure releases).  Peel potatoes and pass through a potato ricer into a large bowl.
2. Add sugar, milk, butter, salt and vanilla to the potatoes.  Beat with an electric mixer on Medium speed until smooth.  Add eggs and beat well.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Grease a 13x9 casserole baking dish.  Pour in potato mixture.
4. To prepare topping, mix together flour through salt in a medium bowl.  Stir in butter.  Flour mixture should be crumbly.  Sprinkle flour mixture evenly over potato mixture.  Sprinkle chopped pecans evenly over flour mixture.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until topping is golden.  Place baking dish under broiler for 45 seconds or until topping is bubbly.  Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving.

MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Casserole can be prepared up through Step 4 two days in advance.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.  When ready to bake, bring to room temperature before continuing.


Source: Adapted from Cooking Light

2 comments:

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

It's a good thing you run a lot because after your Thanksgiving spread if you serve all you have shared over the past few weeks, I would be ten pounds heavier.

I love this dish.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Hines-Sight The motto for holiday cooking in my family is "Go hard or don't bother." With this many dishes, most people take just a tablespoon of everything in order to try it and then they're pretty full. People then gravitate towards their favorites with left-overs the next day. My family eats everything, but some of the in-laws are more finicky than others - some won't eat anything with nuts, some are averse to the mixing of textures, some won't eat anything creamy...with so many people in the family, you have to cater towards everyone and make sure there are at least a few things the more finicky eaters will eat.

As for the recipes I've cooked in advance in order to share them with the blog - Mr. S and I didn't eat them all ourselves. Many of the pies I froze and the other dishes I brought to our friends who just had the twins.