Thanksgiving Centerpiece | Table Décor | Gold and Silver Gourds

Ever since moving to Cleveland, Mr. Stranded and I have been hosting Thanksgiving to those kind souls who are nice enough to make the trek out here.  It's a holiday I've come to truly enjoy hosting!  I plan for weeks what will be on the menu and how I will adorn the table.  I get giddy thinking of how we'll use our fine china and crystal.  And I take delight in washing down every item in our china cabinet and plan how each serving platter and dish will be used.  Just thinking about it makes me smile.  Hey, I've totally admitted that I've got a screw loose when it comes to my obsession with tableware!!

The week of Thanksgiving is all about cooking, cooking and more cooking!  Mr. Stranded and I take off Wednesday from work and cook all day - well I do the cooking and he does the cleaning up behind me.  It's a great system!  But with all the cooking, I don't have time to worry about making a fresh floral centerpiece for the main dining room table.  Sure, throwing together smaller flower arrangements for around the house is no problem, but I want the dining room table to look just right.

I pulled out my pictures from last year's Thanksgiving to share with you my "Make-Ahead Thanksgiving Centerpiece."  Our dining room table is an antique and on the narrower side.  So I wanted something that would allow plenty of room for all of our dishes and wouldn't crowd the table.  I also wanted something low so people could see each other and converse easily.  So I decided to create a runner using some berry vine and wrapping them around two candlestick holders.  And on my berry vine runner, I added some gold and silver painted pumpkins and gourds.  I used artificial berries and gourds so that I could reuse then if I chose to.

Since I'm neurotic, I took some pictures of my 'dress rehearsal' so I would remember where to place the gourds and give it an organic look.  Here's my trial:




And here's the centerpiece on Thanksgiving morning:




9 comments:

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

So festive! Did you spray paint the gourds and pumpkins??? Or did you purchase them that way?? Ps - My china is almost exactly like yours :)

Miss T said... [Reply]

my china is like yours and Tracy's too (but silver). Looks thanksy givingy!
T xx

Sara Louise said... [Reply]

It looks beautiful and without a fuss. Just simple and lovely.

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Tracy Wood Yes, I did spray paint the gourds. Easy peasy! My china is Tiffany's Platinum Band. It has a platinum rim with brushed platinum dots. I love using it!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Miss T I guess we all have good taste! ;)

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Sara Louise Thanks. It was super easy to throw together and Mr. S helped with the painting. We made it a snowy afternoon project. Sure beat shoveling the driveway!

Nicole said... [Reply]

I love this! Your table looks great.

Sarah said... [Reply]

A) I love silver and gold for holiday festivities. B) I love that you did a run-through!! C) I, too, love events that call for fine china. We never use ours...so sad. All that beautiful Waterford just boarded up in the cabinet...
I bet you are stoked for the upcoming holiday. If I had to host, and cook, like I know you will, I think I'd need to hire a full-time staff. HA HA HA! I'm still trying to figure out how you make it sound/look so easy. :-)

Shaleice said... [Reply]

Love this! Totally am going to copy your gold gourds/pumpkins idea when I host Thanksgiving this year. Great job!