Bacon-Wrapped Dates | Recipe | Easy Hors D'Oeuvre

I know I said I was going to tell you what the tradition is with each of the recipes I made for Christmas Day, but there's nothing special about these other than this is a super easy hors d'oeuvre to make and oh, so yummy.  My aunt will wrap just about anything in bacon for an hors d'oeuvre: dates, prunes, scallops, whatever.  So I figured I'd take a page out of my aunt's book and throw a few of these together.

I really like how the dates become soft and the bacon crisp.  It's a nice contrast not only in texture, but with the salty and sweet flavors.  The nice thing about these too is you can make as many or as few as you want.  I like to assume 2-3 dates per person.  One strip of bacon should wrap about four to five dates.

Bacon-Wrapped Dates Recipe
Yields: assume 2-3 dates per person

1 container of pitted dates
bacon slices (approximately 1 slice for every 4-5 dates)

1. Using scissors, cut bacon slices in half longwise to create two long strips.
2. Starting at one end of bacon strip, roll bacon two times around date and cut.  Repeat with remaining dates.  Place dates, flap side down, on a baking sheet. 
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Place dates in the oven for 10 minutes.  Flip dates and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, until dates are soft and bacon in crisp.  Transfer to serving tray and serve.

2 comments:

Nicole said... [Reply]

Yum. I don't know that I've ever tried dates. But I will try anything wrapped in bacon.

Anonymous said... [Reply]

Wonderful! Had these at a wedding..soo good. Sweetness from dates and salty from bacon. Yummie!,