Italian Christmas Dinner | Menu | Red Damask Menu Design


This Christmas was all about traditions.  With my family scattered about, I decided that if I couldn't be with them on this wonderful holiday, I would at least cook all of our traditional recipes. 

A few weeks before Christmas, I was Skyping with my eldest niece (9 years old), La Petite Critique, who is living in Paris.   We started chatting about our favorite Christmas dishes and La Petite Critique kept saying, "Zia you have to make this.  And you have to make that!"  Before I knew it, she had listed every one of my family's traditional recipes!  And then that huge smile on La Petite's face disappeared.  "What's wrong?!"  I asked.  She replied, "Well, it's just that...I just realized....I won't be there to eat it with you!"  So I reminded her that the best cook in the world, aka my mom, was going to visit her for Christmas and there was a good chance she would willingly cook anything La Petite wanted.  And her huge smile returned.

As I post each recipe, I'll give you the background story and why it's a traditional recipe in our family.  Click on blue links below to be redirected to recipes.  Recipes without links will be posted shortly.  To see Table Décor, click here.

The menu border design came from the first Christmas card Mr. Stranded and I sent after we were married.  I'm a sucker for damask and anything monogrammed.  Click on the menu below to enlarge.


Christmas Dinner Menu

Hors D'Oeuvres




Baked Brie en Croute




Bacon-Wrapped Dates


Smoked Salmon with Cream Cheese, Minced Onions and Capers




Prosciutto di Parma

Soup




Veal Ravioli in a Clear Chicken Broth

Pasta




Ricotta-Filled Manicotti with Fresh Tomato Sauce

Entrée


Porcini and Rosemary Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Port Wine Sauce

Sides



Brandied Sweet Potatoes with Apples



Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes



Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Chesnuts, Bacon and Shallots



Garlicky Broccoli Rabe



White Mushrooms with Garlic and Parsley




Stuffed Artichokes



Glazed Pearl Onions




Fennel and Green Apple Salad

Desserts



"Pizza Dolce"
Italian Cheesecake


"Crostoli"
Fried Cookie Ribbons


Clementines and Nuts

4 comments:

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

Incredible spread!! So impressive! Looks like you fed an army! I served beef burgundy, roasted tomatoes, roasted brussel sprouts and green beans. I was rather proud of my menu, but you put me to shame!! Happy New Year!!

Juggling in Heels said... [Reply]

I am so impressed! Love the menu and everything looks delish! Incredible!

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

Amazing dinner. Happy New Year!

Love the menu card, too.

Sara Louise said... [Reply]

It looks delicious! And the menu is a gorgeous touch.
Happy New Year to you!