Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Chesnuts, Bacon and Shallots | Recipe | Oven Roasted Brussel Sprouts

Brussel sprouts are easily one of my favorite vegetables.  The only person I know who likes brussel sprouts as much as I do is my uncle.  Between the two of us, we could demolish this entire dish alone.

The brussel sprouts became a Christmas staple at my house because early on, my mom would ask my brothers and me what dishes we would like for Christmas.  I knew my oldest brother would pick the sweet potatoes, my second brother would pick artichokes, my mom would make the pearl onions for herself, and the broccoli rabe for my dad.  So basically, most of my favorites were covered.  So that gave me free reign to request brussel sprouts!  And my mom's been making them for me ever since. 

If you've never roasted chestnuts for recipes before, here's the easiest way to do it:
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2. Cut an "X" into the flat surface of the chestnut.
3. Place chestnuts on a shallow baking sheet and roast, for 30-40 minutes.  Be sure to shake the pan every so often so that they roast evenly.
4. Remove from the oven and place chestnuts in a dish towel.  Press down on the chestnuts, cracking the shells while they are still hot.  Peel the chestnuts as soon as they are cool enough to handle, but still warm.  Chestnuts become difficult to peel once they have cooled.

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Chestnuts, Bacon and Shallots Recipe
Yields: 8 servings

6 oz bacon, diced (about 6 slices)
5 shallots, minced
4 lbs brussel sprouts, halved lengthwise
1/2 coarsely chopped chestnuts, roasted and peeled
2 Tbsp chopped fresh thyme
salt and pepper

1.  Cook bacon in a large pan over Medium heat until crisp, about 5 to 8 minutes.  Add shallots and cook until soft, about 2 minutes.
2. Increase the heat to Medium-High.  Add brussel sprouts, chestnuts, thyme, salt and pepper.  Stir well and cook for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and transfer to a baking dish.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Place brussel sprouts in the oven and roast, stirring occasionally, about 25-30 minutes or until brussel sprouts are tender.

MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Dish can be prepared through Step 2 in advance.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.  Bring to room temperature before continuing.

Printer Friendly Recipe

Adapted from: Williams-Sonoma

2 comments:

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

This sounds totally delicious! I am also a brussels sprouts FREAK! (maybe I shouldn't have used the upper case letters, but it's the truth!) I have never, on the other hand, even tasted a chestnut in my entire life!

Adrienne said... [Reply]

I'll have to share this with my girlfriend who loves brussel sprouts with bacon.
My husband won't eat them - ever. But maybe I will make them for me and my stepdaughter soon.
Am pinning this...are you on Pinterest??