White Mushrooms with Garlic and Parsley | Recipe | Sauteed Mushrooms

This post is going to have very little to do with mushrooms.  Instead, it's going to touch upon the comments I repeatedly hear from people about blogging.

For all you bloggers out there, raise your hand if someone has ever said to you, "You have way too much time on your hands."  For whatever reason, people think it's appropriate to say such things (cough, cough, oldest brother of mine...).  So it got me thinking, Do I have too much free time on my hands?

And the answer is Hell, no!  I wish I had more time on my hands.  With the limited down time I do have, I choose to blog.  Just because I choose to spend 20 minutes posting  a recipe instead of doing things like --- playing angry birds, checking ESPN.com, watching endless hours of tv, surfing the internet, going shopping, or checking Facebook (I don't even have a Facebook account), does not mean I have any more free time than the next person.  Cooking, throwing dinner parties, blogging...these are all things I do because I find them enjoyable and relaxing.  This is what I choose to do to unwind and it's not any less valuable than what other people choose to do.

I don't think I will always blog, but while I'm here in Cleveland, why not?  I'm certainly not going to take up snow-shoeing any time soon.  

I look at blogging as not only a chronicle to how I've grown, adapted and made the best of living here, but as a forum to write down all of my recipes.  I've asked my mother for years to do this and she never has. 

So big brother of mine, the next time you ask me for Papa's sauce recipe, or mom's fried potatoes recipe or nonna's manicotti recipe, just remember --- they're all on the blog.  No need to thank me.

Ok, but really I should mention that you should NEVER wash mushrooms.  If you do, they will turn brown and absorb the water.  Instead, peel the skin off each mushroom.  Yes, it's a little more work, but this will make your recipe so much better.

White Mushrooms with Garlic and Parsley Recipe
Yields: 6-8 servings

16 oz whole white mushrooms (either one large container or two small containers), cleaned and quartered (see note above)
8 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
salt and pepper

1. Sauté garlic and olive oil over Medium-Low heat until garlic is fragrant.
2. Add mushrooms.  Raise heat and quickly sauté, 2 minutes only.  Remove from heat.  Add parsley.
3.  Just before serving, season with salt and pepper.

MAKE-AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 2.  Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.  Reheat, then season with salt and pepper before serving.


6 comments:

Adrienne said... [Reply]

Just pinned this one too. You are giving me so many wonderful low carb recipes. I may have to just feature them on my other blog, Sugarless, Flourless and Fabulous. Do you mind?

The whole "too much time on your hands if you blog" is not only insulting, it's not true. It has to do with your priorities. Blogging is my #1 favorite hobby. So when I have extra time, blogging is what I like to do. Other people knit or read voraciously, or watch tv...I blog!

Gina said... [Reply]

So cute, brother must want a bad meal next time he comes over, lol. I say do what you are passionate about and let the critics fend for themselves. I love mushrooms and was just thinking I need to put them on the menu. You never know though snow-shoeing sounds kinda fun.
-Gina-

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Adrienne Absolutely! Feel free to post any of my recipes on your new blog. I'll have to check it out!!

Mrs. Stranded said... [Reply]

@Gina Haha! Luckily, I'm used to my brothers teasing me, so it's no big deal ;) I've heard snow-shoeing is fun. Maybe I should give it a try!

Sarah | Coffee and Cabernet said... [Reply]

I COULD NOT agree more with your viewpoints on blogging. Sometimes, I think people assume I sit around all day and mess with my blog...they have no idea. The major overhaul I just went through (from Blogger to WordPress) -- guess when I did that? From 10PM to 1AM every night last week. There wasn't any other time during my day! It is a priority for people like us who enjoy sharing and connecting with others who enjoy the same types of things...not because we are bored.

Hines-Sight said... [Reply]

I agree with Adrienne. I certainly don't have enough time on my hands, and I know people don't understand why I like to blog, write, etc, but I don't knit nor do I play games on my phone.

YOur recipe looks great.