Glazed Pearl Onions | Recipe | Sweet and Sour Pearl Onions

I've been waiting since Christmas to share this recipe with you because it is my absolute FAVORITE!  Every year for our birthdays, my mom would ask each of us what we wanted for dinner.  My menu usually went something like this: brandied sweet potatoes, brussel sprouts, asparagus, and glazed pearl onions.  Yum, oh, yum.

One birthday, my mom said, "I don't think I'll have time to make the pearl onions this year.  It takes too long to peel all of the onions."  It never occured to me that my mom would stand and peel each and every pearl onion.  Such a tedious task!  "Why don't you just use frozen pearl onions?" I asked.  It had never thought to use anything other than fresh onions.  (The more I think about it, I was SO spoiled with food growing up.)  She responded, "Sure, why not?  What do we have to lose?  If it's not any good, we'll know for next time."

My mom has never peeled another pearl onion since then. 

These pearl onions are sweet and sour made with brown sugar and red wine vinegar.  This recipe makes even a non-onion fan become one.  Why else would a kid ask for onions on her birthday?  These onions are best made the same day, but they are incredibly quick and easy to make, so set aside 10 minutes and you'll have a great dish.

Glazed Pearl Onions Recipe
Yields: 8-12 servings

3 10-oz packages or 2 16-oz packages of frozen pearl onions, thawed
¼ c unsalted butter
¼ c brown sugar
¼ c red wine vinegar
Salt

1. Drain onions thoroughly on paper towels and pat dry.  Roll them around on the paper towels to remove any tough outer skins.
2. Melt butter in a large skillet over Medium-High heat.  When butter foams, add onions.  Sauté over Medium heat 5-8 minutes or until onions begin to color.
3. Add brown sugar; stir to coat.  Add vinegar and salt.  Cook three minutes until a thickish syrup has formed.

3 comments:

Adrienne Shubin said... [Reply]

These sound tasty...too bad I don't eat sugar anymore. I wonder if they would taste weird if I used artificial brown sugar?

Some things are just easier to buy pre-peeled or, like pumpkin, pre-cooked and pureed. I cook with cauliflower ALL the time...I finally bought some frozen cauliflower and when the three fresh heads I have in the fridge right now are gone, I will try the frozen when I make my mashed fauxtatoes. I hope the frozen works just as well - like your pearl onions!

Tracy Wood said... [Reply]

I love onions! They are too easily forgotten as a side dish in and of themselves. I have bookmarked this one :)

Miss T said... [Reply]

I'm having a rubbish day, so seeing you pop up has totally cheered my day. and Onions? awesome.